Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Saying Good-bye to a Friend


It is with deep sadness we share with our friends and volunteers, the passing of our friend, Linda Braund. Linda touched our lives when she was partnered with Service Dog Zaccheus in November 2005. Linda was a strong supporter of Carolina Canines and often assisted with presentations and events in the Raleigh area from a fundraiser with the Raleigh Browns Backers to one with Durham Regional Hospital. She and Zaccheus were the reason Carolina Canines has received funding from one grantor after they met someone in the Raleigh area. Linda was a retired U.S. Army veteran and believed in our Carolina Canines for Veterans program.

In Linda’s own words several years ago she said, “Zacheus or Zack is the most wonderful gift I could ever receive to help me deal with my multiple sclerosis. He has opened more doors for me than I ever knew was possible. He literally opens doors by tugging on a cord temporarily attached for that purpose, or rising to touch the pad to open a handicap accessible door; but he can also open the invisible doors that often separate me from the life I used to have. Before Zack, I was alone, having this cheerful, loving dog as my constant companion makes my spirits soar in a way I thought they never would again. I feel like I’m a part of something again and I have the help to be able to live independently. There are not words enough to say what a wonderful gift Zack is; he gave me back my life.”

A funeral service will be held at 10:00 am, Saturday, June 20, 2009 at Brown-Wynne Funeral Home, 200 SE Maynard Rd., Cary, NC. Burial will be at 1:00 PM, Monday, June 22 at Quantico National Cemetery, Triangle, VA. The family will receive friends from 6:00-8:00 p.m., Friday, June 19 at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers memorial contributions may be made to Reins From Above, 86 Polenta Rd., Smithfield, NC 27577 or Carolina Canines for Service, Inc., P.O. Box 12643, Wilmington, NC 28405. Condolences may be sent to the family at http://www.brownwynne.com/

Service Dog Zaccheus will be retired and return to live with Donna Sweetman, advanced trainer for Carolina Canines.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Linda’s family during this time.

No comments: