Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thank a Veteran, Not Just Today, Everyday

"Veterans Day is an annual United States holiday honoring military veterans. A federal holiday, it is observed on November 11. It is also celebrated as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day in other parts of the world, falling on November 11, the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)" (Wikipedia).

Veterans Day gives each of us a time to pause and reflect on the men, women and even the dogs that have served our country.  Not just served, defended her, and our freedoms, sometimes for the sake of their own lives.   As I pause to reflect, many men in my life have served, my Dad was in the Navy, my brother in the Air Force and my husband served in the Air Force during the Vietnam Era, but I was still being a child during most of the Vietnam conflict and did not fully understand the impact other then the memorable protests and uprising.  As I listen to those that served during that era, I am saddened by the lack of support for our men and women who were doing a job asked of them, the same as the men and women who serve today.  

Today, my life has been touched by the men and women who have served or currently serve our great nation because I am blessed to be a part of a growing organization that works to provide needed services to our wounded warriors.   I see and listen to their sacrifices and struggles to regain their identity and learn who they are after battling devastating injuries, physical, mental or spiritual. I listen as they reach out to find hope and a pathway in a world that has changed and shook them to their very core.   I listen and I hear, not just with my ears but my heart.   And, I triumph in their achievements.

Today, I thank the Veterans in my life that have opened my eyes, my mind and my heart.  Today, I thank you for allowing me to have the honor of serving you in some small way because of Carolina Canines for Veterans.  Thank you for touching my life.  Thank you for letting me be a small part of who you have become.  Next week, Carolina Canines for Veterans will work with the 11th Veteran to receive a service dog from the program.  Eleven lives we have been able to touch one person at a time.  To all the Ed's, Leslie's and Donald's that  I have the honor to know, thank you for allowing Carolina Canines for Veterans serve you.

No comments: